Thursday, June 18, 2009

Generation No. 5 - Rev. James Wright - Last Will

The Last Will and Testament of James Wright is as follows. "I, James Wright of Opeckan in the county of Frederick and colony of Virginia being aged, but of a sound and well diposing mind and memory do make this as my last will and testament hereby revoking and disanulling all other wills that have heretofore been made or done by me. First, my will is that my body be decently buried and all my just debt and funeral charges I leave to be defrayed at the discretion of my executrix hereinafter mentioned. Secondly, I give bequeath and demise unto my son Thomas Wright the land plantation wheron I now dwell with all the buildings and improvements and appurtenances thereunto belonging the which I bequeath and demise to the proper use and behoff of him, his heirs and assigns forever, it being 194 acres of patent land and he to be in full possession therof during his natural life. I also give and bequeath unto my wife all my goods and chattels and all my personal estate wither for a comfortable maintenance during her life or else to dispose among her children as in discretion she shall think fit or when and where she shall think fit only paying to our ten children each of them five shillings Virginia currency viz: John, James, Isaac, Lydia Wright, Mary Ballinger, Hannah Ballinger, Martha Mendenhall, Elizabeth Matthews, Ann McCool, and Sarah Pickering. Lastly, I ordain and constitute my loving and well beloved wife, Mary Wright, sole executrix of this my last will and testament witness my hand and seal, dated Opeckan aforesaid this 14th day of this 8th month, October, 1751. Signed: James Wright Be it further remembered that I would have no appraisement upon my goods. Be it further remembered that there is 160 acres of land lately surveyed at the south side of the above said tract 60 whereof I add to the side tract lying along the said land the which I demise as above to my son Thomas Wright, this before sealing acknowledgement. In the other 100 acres I leave to my wife's disposal after my decease as also the 300 acres lately surveyed lying by Thomas Thornburgh, upon Middle Creek. Signed: J. Wright I would have no appraisement upon my goods, witness my hand and seal this 30th day of April, 1753. Signed, sealed, testified and declared to be the last will and testament of James Wright in the presence of testis: Evan Rogers, James Ballinger, Sarah Rogers. (This was proved in Frederick Co., VA on Mar. 1, 1760. It was presented by the executrix, wife, Mary Wright)

No comments:

Blog Details